POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Some simple feature suggestions : Some simple feature suggestions Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:19:04 EDT (-0400)
  Some simple feature suggestions
From: Glen Berry
Date: 29 Jun 1999 20:27:33
Message: <377a5fe3.57417910@news.povray.org>
Since most all of the image formats support some sort of comment
fields, wouldn't it be nice to take advantage of them? We could have
POV-Ray automatically insert a small text file into each of out images
stating the author's name, copyright notice, etc. This text file would
be created by the user and pointed to by an entry in the master ini
file. If no pointer existed, no text would be inserted into the image.

It would also be nice to mention in the comments which version of
POV-Ray created the image. This might include the platform and
compiler used, as well as the general revision number. Custom versions
of POV-Ray should identify themselves as such, and mention their
version numbers as well. This might help at a later date with trying
to recreate an image, or even with tech support issues. This text info
would NOT be a part of the user's text file mentioned above. It would
be hard coded into povray. It would only be updated with each new
version or custom compile.

Lastly, I recently have been rendering images with the intention of
printing them. For the purposes of printing, it would be nice to
assign a DPI value to the image. Currently, I have to do this in a
graphics editing program. It isn't hard, but it could be taken care of
automatically by POV-Ray. I suppose we would need an entry in the
master ini file for DPI setting. Something like: "Output_DPI=300"
I'm not sure how many of the POV supported formats would support this,
but for those formats that do, I think we should add this feature.

I'd love to hear comments about these ideas.

Later,
Glen Berry

IMP Vice Coordinator, and Communications Director
IMP Website: www.imp.org
My Website:  www.ezwv.com/~mclilith/index.html

Email:  7no### [at] ezwvcom
(remove the "7" to reply via personal email)